Pam's Fried Green Tomato Parmesan
6-8green tomatoes see note
1/4 chalf and half or whole milk
1/2 cself-rising buttermilk corn meal
·salt and pepper
1 qtjar marinara
1 tspitalian seasoning
2 clovegarlic minced
1 cfreshly grated parmesan cheese
1 cgrated mozzarella
1 lbpasta of choice (we like spaghetti)
·oil for frying like canola or peanut
How to Make Pam's Fried Green Tomato Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Spread out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 5 minutes then blot them dry.
- Whisk egg together with the cream or milk.
- Mix the flour and corn meal together. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Dip tomato slices in egg then flour mix. Let the egg run off as much as it will, you don't want a thick coating. Place them on a baking rack as you go. Do them all before you start frying and fry the first ones you did first.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet. Fry the tomatoes in batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Once all the tomatoes are browned pour off the oil. Add the garlic to the pan and saute quickly. Add the marinara and spices and heat through.
- You want two layers of tomatoes, so pick a baking pan that will work with the amount of tomatoes you have. Oil the pan and add a spoonful of sauce.
- Layer a single layer of tomatoes, then marinara, then half of the cheeses. Repeat. You should have marinara left over.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until cheese is melted.
- While that's baking cook your pasta to serve with it. When ready to serve, toss the pasta with the left over marinara and serve along side the green tomato parmesan.
- NOTE: I just eyeball how many tomatoes I want to use based on how many I want to serve. I allow one tomato per person unless they are small.