Pam's Fried Green Tomato Parmesan
- green tomatoes see note
- 1/4 c
- half and half or whole milk
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- self-rising buttermilk corn meal
- salt and pepper
- 1 qt
- jar marinara
- 1 tsp
- italian seasoning
- 2 clove
- garlic minced
- 1 c
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 c
- grated mozzarella
- 1 lb
- pasta of choice (we like spaghetti)
- oil for frying like canola or peanut
How to Make Pam's Fried Green Tomato Parmesan
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- 3Spread out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 5 minutes then blot them dry.
- 4Whisk egg together with the cream or milk.
- 5Mix the flour and corn meal together. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 6Dip tomato slices in egg then flour mix. Let the egg run off as much as it will, you don't want a thick coating. Place them on a baking rack as you go. Do them all before you start frying and fry the first ones you did first.
- 7Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet. Fry the tomatoes in batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 8Once all the tomatoes are browned pour off the oil. Add the garlic to the pan and saute quickly. Add the marinara and spices and heat through.
- 9You want two layers of tomatoes, so pick a baking pan that will work with the amount of tomatoes you have. Oil the pan and add a spoonful of sauce.
- 10Layer a single layer of tomatoes, then marinara, then half of the cheeses. Repeat. You should have marinara left over.
- 11Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until cheese is melted.
- 12While that's baking cook your pasta to serve with it. When ready to serve, toss the pasta with the left over marinara and serve along side the green tomato parmesan.
- 13NOTE: I just eyeball how many tomatoes I want to use based on how many I want to serve. I allow one tomato per person unless they are small.