New York Fire Station Pasta e Fagioli
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 c
- olive oil
- onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 can(s)
- cannellini beans (19-oz ea.)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- dried oregano, basil, and parsley, to taste
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 8 c
- canned chicken broth
- head cabbage
- head escarole, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 can(s)
- red kidney beans, undrained (i use pinto beans instead)
- 1 can(s)
- chickpeas, undrained
- 1 lb
- elbow macaroni or small shell pasta (i use less & only use the amount i want in smaller portion sizes that were frozen)
- grated parmesan cheese
How to Make New York Fire Station Pasta e Fagioli
- 1In a large pot, brown the garlic in the olive oil. When the garlic is browned, add the onions, 1 can of the cannellini beans, salt and pepper, oregano, basil, arsle, and a little hot sauce. Saute over low-medium heat approximately 10 minutes.
- 2In separate pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Have the cabbage & escarole cut up into bite-sized pieces and put them in the pot with the onions and beans.
- 3Immediately pour in the boiling chicken broth. Cover until the cabbage and escarole shrink down into the liquid. Simmer on low-medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
- 4Add the remaining beans with their liquid, and cook approximately another 30 minutes.
- 5Cook the pasta & add to the pot with the beans & vegetables. Serve with grated cheese and hot sauce, if desired.