Macaroni and Gouda Cheese Casserole
Source: Tupelo Honey Cafe's Cookbook
4 ozritz crackers
1 cpanko bread crumbs
1 1/2 tspsea salt
1 tspfreshly ground black pepper
2 Tbspbutter, unsalted, melted
1 tspolive oil
1 largesweet onion, diced (vidalia is good)
2 cmacaroni, elbow
3 cheavy cream
1 1/2 cshredded gouda cheese (about 8-ounces)
1 Tbspworcestershire sauce
1 Tbspgreen hot pepper sauce
1/2 cfreshly grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Macaroni and Gouda Cheese Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a food processor, pulse the crackers, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until coarsely ground.
- Place the mixture in a bowl and combine with the melted butter. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and the onion in a medium skillet over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Bring water to a boil in a large stock pot and add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add the macaroni and cook over high heat for about 12 minutes, or until just tender or al dente.
- Drain the pasta and return to the stockpot.
- Add the onions, cream, gouda cheese, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the bread crumb mixture evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour in the macaroni mixture and top with the remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Turn the oven off and let the casserole rest inside for 5 minutes before serving.