Layered Pasta Pie
1/2 lbvermicelli or spaghetti, broken into 3rds, cooked and drained.
1/3 conion, finely chopped
4 clovegarlic, finely minced
1 Tbspolive oil
1 cgrated, fresh romano cheese, divided
1(15-16 oz) container ricotta cheese
1 pkg(10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 jar(s)(24-26 oz) pasta sauce, your favorite (you could even use pizza sauce)
How to Make Layered Pasta Pie
- While pasta is cooking, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta and place in a small mixing bowl. Add onion and garlic mixture and mix well. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Thaw spinach and drain well. (place in a strainer and press liquid out using a spoon)
- When pasta mixture is warm, not hot, add 1 slightly beaten egg, and 1/2 cup grated romano. Mix well.
- Press pasta mixture into a 9", well greased, spring form pan.
- Separate the yolks of 2 eggs from the whites. Reserve the egg whites. Combine the 2 egg yolks, ricotta cheese, spinach, salt and pepper and rest of the romano cheese.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the pasta layer.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites just until stiff, not dry.
- Fold egg whites into 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce. Spoon over spinach layer.