Grandma's Macaroni & Cheese
- 28 oz. can whole stewed tomatoes, quarter each stewed tomato
- 4 c
- elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 medium
- bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 small
- yellow onion, chopped
- 2 c
- cheese, shredded (i've used chedder and parmesan)
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, cubed
- milk (follow instructions for milk in recipe)
- 1/2 c
- bread or cracker crumbs (i've used panko & also ritz crumbs)
- 1 bunch
- fresh oregano, thyme, or basil (you could use one or a combination)
How to Make Grandma's Macaroni & Cheese
- 1Drain and reserve juice from tomatoes. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and layer ingredients in the following order, 1/2 of the macaroni, yellow onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, cheese and fresh herb of your choice. Repeat all layers.
- 2Top with dots of butter. Pour tomato juice and enough milk to come up about half way up the sides of the dish. Top with the bread or cracker crumbs. Seal dish tightly with foil.
- 3Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Serve with tossed salad and garlic toast.