Geschnetzeltes (Chicken in Cream Sauce)
- 1 lb
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp
- butter or cooking oil
- 2 medium
- shallots, minced
- 3/4 c
- dry white wine
- 4 oz
- sliced button mushrooms (optional)
- 1 c
- light cream or whipping cream
- 2 tsp
- dried tarragaon (or 2 tbsp fresh, chopped)
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- cooked egg noodles, drained and buttered (optional)
How to Make Geschnetzeltes (Chicken in Cream Sauce)
- 1Cut the chicken into thin strips, 2 to 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide.
- 2Melt the butter in a frying pan and brown the chicken strips in it. Add the minced shallots when the meat is cooked part-way. When meat is no longer pink, add the wine and mushrooms (if using), and cook until sauce is reduced by 1/3.
- 3Add the cream and tarragon, and cook until sauce is further reduced by 1/3. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4This is traditionally served over hot, buttered egg noodles with a side dish of Dampfkartoffeln (boiled potatoes).