- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 c
- yellow onion, finely chopped (or shallots--as an afterthought)
- 1 stick
- minced garlic
- 3/4 lb
- italian sausage, sweet or hot
- 1 (28 oz.) can(s)
- fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp
- plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2/3 c
- heavy cream
- 12 oz
- fusilli pasta
- 2 c
- frozen green peas, thawed
- 3 oz
- parmesan cheese, finely grated
- fresh basil, shredded, to garnish
How to Make Fusilli w/Sausage, Peas & Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 1In a large saucepan or stockpot, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil.
- 2While the water is heating, in a large skillet over medium, heat the oil.
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon and stirring, until the sausage is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, add the 2 tablespoons of salt and the pasta to the pot of water.
Stir the pasta well and boil the pasta, following the instructions on the back on the package, until almost but not quite al dente.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, and add it to the skillet, along with the peas and half of the cheese.
- 4Simmer until the pasta is al dente, adding some of the pasta cooking water if necessary to thin the sauce to desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper, then divide between 4 serving bowls.
Top each portion with some of the remaining cheese and the basil.