Bacon Mac and Cheese
MAC AND CHEESE
4 cdry pasta
6 slicethick cut apple wood bacon, chopped (reserve 2 slices for topping)
1 cdiced onion
2 clovegarlic, minced
2 cwhole milk
1/2 cheavy cream
2 tspground mustard
8 ozmild white cheddar cheese, grated
8 ozbutterkase cheese, grated
·salt and pepper to taste
1 ccracker crumbs
1/2 cmild white cheddar cheese, grated
1 Tbspbutter, melted
·reserved bacon pieces
How to Make Bacon Mac and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a large baking dish. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt generously.
- Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the package. Cook the pasta to andante. Drain and add butter to keep pasta from sticking. Set aside
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease and cook the onions on low until translucent
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour over medium heat.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the milk, cream, ground mustard, and bacon stir until the mixture is very thick. Reserve 2 slices of bacon for topping.
- Reduce the heat to low and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in the pasta until it is all covered with the cheese sauce.
- Pour the pasta into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese over the pasta.
- Top with the cracker crumbs, then drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbly. Chop the reserved bacon and sprinkle over the top before serving.