Finding a small or Asian eggplant in my area can sometimes be challenge. I use half of a medium sized eggplant and save the rest for another recipe.
3 Tbspolive oil
1 smallasian eggplant (or a small eggplant), cut lengthwise in half then sliced
1 smallto medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half and slliced
1 mediumbell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 smallonion, cut into slivers (not rings)
2 clovegarlic, minced
1 can(s)(28 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
11/2 tspthyme, dried
·salt and pepper, to taste
4-8 ozfresh mushrooms, quartered (depending on how much you like mushrooms)
How to Make Vegetable Ragout
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until veggies start to soften - about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Serve ragout over polenta or cooked rice.