Ravioli with Sausage & Peppers
I made this for a friend when she came out of the hospital and she & her family loved it!
- 1/2 c
- oil (i use vegetable oil for this recipe so that the "olive" taste doesn't interfere with the sweetness of the sauce)
- 1 large
- sweet onion - i like vidalia's
- 2 large
- red peppers (i use all red-for the sweetness, of course)
- 1 lb
- sweet italian sausage,in casing-cut in 1" pieces.
- 1 lb
- small cheese ravioli
- 2 can(s)
- 14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes (original flavor)
- 1/2 tsp
- dried basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated locatelli cheese (or your favorite grated romano or parmesan cheese)
How to Make Ravioli with Sausage & Peppers
- 1Cook ravioli according to directions on package, until al dente (slightly firm on the edges.) When draining ravioli, save a cup of the pasta water to add to sauce later, if needed. Return ravioli to pot.
- 2Remove seeds from peppers and cut into 1" squares (or bite-size pieces). Peel onion and slice into "strips".
- 3Saute sausage in oil until it is no longer pink. Add peppers and onions to the skillet and saute until sausage is browned and peppers and onions are tender.
- 4Put stewed tomatoes in blender until "sauce" consistency. Add to skillet with the sausage and peppers and simmer until the tomato sauce is cooked (about 15 minutes.) (I don't usually need it, but you may add a little pasta water into the sauce if you like it thinner.)
- 5Pour sauce & peppers over ravioli and gently mix. Simmer for a few minutes until the ravioli is tender (do not overcook!). Sprinkle with basil, salt, pepper & grated cheese if desired.
- 6Serve with some crusty bread ~ enjoy!