Peruvian Lamb Stew/Seco de Cordero
2 lblamb meat(shoulder or leg)
3 clovegarlic, minced
1/4 cvegetable oil
1 largered onion, chopped
1 mediumaji pepper/jalapeño, chopped fine
4 Tbspvegetable oil
1-2 cchicken/beef stock
5-6 mediumyellow potatoes
How to Make Peruvian Lamb Stew/Seco de Cordero
- Cut the meat into approximate 2 inch cubes.
- Mix the vinegar with the garlic, cumin, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, and some salt and pepper. Pour over the meat. Let the meat marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Purée the cilantro (stems removed) with some water in a blender until you get a smooth paste.
- Heat the 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a large pot on high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Remove the meat to a plate.
- Lower the heat and add the onion and aji pepper to the pot with the leftover marinade. Cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the meat back to the pot along with the beer, the cilantro purée and the cup of stock. Cover and cook over low heat until the meat is tender, about an hour.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and add them to the stew; continue to cook over low heat until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes more, adding chicken broth if needed.
- Serve warm over rice.