Mama's Ham and White Bean Soup
1 Tbspolive oil
1 mediumonion, chopped
1 csliced carrots
1 ccelery, chopped
2 clovegarlic, minced
3 clow sodium chicken broth
1 cham steak, diced
1 tsporegano, dried
3 can(s)great northern beans (15oz cans) rinsed, drained, & divided
How to Make Mama's Ham and White Bean Soup
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, water, diced ham, ham shank, oregano, bay leaf and 2 cans of beans. Cover and bring to low boil for 10 minutes. Stir; reduce heat and partially cover. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash remaining can of beans with a potato masher until thick and creamy. Stir into soup mixture; blend well.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to heat through.
- Discard ham shank and bay leaf before serving.
- COOK'S NOTES:
I have also made this soup using dry great northern beans. You just have to fully cook them and then begin with the directions in this recipe. Both ways I cooked them turned out yummy!!!