1 (9 oz.)pkg. frozen cut green beans, cooked & drained
2 tablesp.finely chopped onions
1 (2 oz.)jar diced pimiento, drained
4 cupshot cooked mashed potatoes
1 lb.pork sausage links, cooked & drained (*see note)
8 oz.velveeta cheese spread, sliced & divided
How to Make Homesteaders Casserole
- Combine the green beans, onions and pimiento.
- In a 2-1/2 quart casserole baking dish, add the mashed potatoes.
- Put half of the cheese slices on top the potatoes.
- Place the green bean mixture over the cheese slices.
- Top with the cooked pork sausage links.
- Cover the casserole, and bake for 30 minutes in a 350º oven.
- Top with the remaining cheese slices, and continue baking until the cheese melts, then serve. Be careful when eating, as this dish is quite hot (temp-wise).
- *Note: You could substitute fresh cooked green beans for the frozen-cooked green beans. I cooked my fresh green beans with a 1/2 cup of water, and sprinkled them with a bit of salt & pepper, and cooked them in a 900 watt microwave oven for 13 minutes (stirring the beans half way through the cooking time). Also, when cooking the potatoes, I added a few cloves of fresh garlic to the pot of water, and when the potatoes were done cooking and drained, I added several pats of butter, a bit of half-and-half cream, plus I sprinkled the mashed taters with freshly cracked black pepper, and added some Mrs Dash Table Blend Seasoning. Also... for the sausages, you can use Swift Premium Brown 'N Serve Sausages in place of the links. As shown in one of the photos.