Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)
- 1 lb
- pinto beans
- small onion, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper
- 1/4 lb
- salt pork, cubed
- 6 c
- 1 1/4 tsp
- 4 slice
- bacon, cut into small pieces
- 14 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 - 3
- serrano peppers, seeded, deveined, and minced
- 2 tsp
- dried cilantro or 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bottle
- bottle carta blanca beer
How to Make Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)
- 1Put beans, onion, garlic, and salt pork into at least a 5 1/2 quart heavy pot with a good lid.
- 2Add water and bring to a rolling boil.
- 3Cover and reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook for about 3 hours or until beans are nearly tender.
- 4Add the salt and cook uncovered at a little higher heat to reduce the fluid, stir often.
- 5Fry bacon pieces in a skillet until crisp.
- 6Add chopped tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro to the skillet.
- 7Cook at a good simmer for about 10 minutes or until tomato liquid has reduced some and flavors have blended.
- 8Raise the heat to high and add the beer.
- 9Let the mixture come to a roiling boil for 2 or 3 minutes and add it to the beans. Stir to mix.
- 10Replace the lid and cook at a slow simmer for about another hour or until the beans are very tender.