Corn Cakes Belizean-style a La Jardinerita
- 1 c
- 1 c
- pastry flour (white or whole wheat)
- 2 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- milk (the ratio of cow's milk to coconut milk is negotiable)
- 1/2 c
- coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp
- belizean recado rojo
- 1/4 c
- butter, oil or lard, melted
- 1/3 c
- finely minced white onion
- 3/4 c
- english cheddar cheese (tested an english sharp white cheddar)
- additional coconut oil for frying
- green onions, sliced
- fresh limes, sliced
- fresh cilantro, minced
- marie sharp hot sauce from belize (your choice)
How to Make Corn Cakes Belizean-style a La Jardinerita
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: cornmeal, pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 2In a measuring cup whisk together the milk, coconut milk and recado rojo, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Whisk in the eggs, melted butter (or substitution),minced onion and the cheese.
- 3Stir in the milk/coconut milk mixture with the dry ingredients. Only stir just enough to combine.
- 4Heat up some coconut oil in a skillet on medium. Pour 2 tablespoons heaping of the corn cake batter into the skillet. Cook about 2 minutes or until the top starts to bubble and the bottom is browned. Flip over and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- 5Plate corn cakes and serve with the requisite toppings: green onions, lime slices, fresh cilantro and Marie Sharp's hot sauce!