3 mediumonions,thinly sliced
3 mediumred bell peppers, thinly sliced
3 Tbspcanola oil
3 1/2 tspkosher salt
1 1/2 lbsweet italian sausage, removed from casing, and broken up into chunks
1 1/2 lbeye of round,thinly sliced and trimed of fat
16 oztomato sauce
1 1/2 tspchili powder
1 jar(s)cheez whiz(traditionally used on authentic philly cheesesteak sandwiches)
1loaf italian bread (16 ounces)
How to Make Boardwalk Chili
- In large pot, over medium high heat, add in 2 Tablespoons canola oil, onions, peppers, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Sautee for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in sausage, and cook/brown for approximately 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add in 1 Tablespoon of canola oil, eye of round and 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, stirring to prevent sticking for approximately 10-12 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
- Add eye of round into sausage mixture with tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, stir together and cook over low to medium heat covered for approximately 1 hour.
- Heat cheez whiz in microwave safe bowl until melted (about 30 seconds, microwave temperatures will vary)
Pour about 1/4 cup (or to taste) each over plated chili, and serve with Italian bread slices. (Delicious spooned over top of bread). Serve immediately. Can be refrigerated and reheated.