1 (lb.)mild italian sausage
1/4 cupdiced onion
1-1/2 tsp.jarred minced garlic
1 can(14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can(14.5 oz.) del monte diced tomatoes with garlic & onion
1 can(10-3/4 oz.) campbell's cheddar cheese soup
2 cupsshredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
12 ounces(uncooked) elbow macaroni
How to Make Belly Buster
- Grease a large casserole baking dish, then set baking dish aside. (I used a 4-quart oval baking dish for this recipe.)
- In a skillet, brown the sausage along with the onion, until the sausage is cooked half-way through, then add the garlic, and continue cooking until the sausage is completely cooked through. Place in colander to drain off any excess grease.
- While the sausage is draining in the colander, start cooking the macaroni, and until it's al dente' (about 10 minutes). I do add a bit of vegetable oil to the pot of water before it comes to a boil.
- While the macaroni is cooking, I add the cooked sausage back to the skillet, and over a low flame, then I add both cans of diced tomatoes, and the can of cheddar cheese soup. Stir until the soup is incorporated, then add in 1 cup of the shredded cheese, and stir till it's almost mixed in, but not completely melted in.
- Once the macaroni is done cooking, and has been thoroughly drained in the colander, add it and the sausage/tomato/cheese mixture to the prepared casserole baking dish; gently stir till all ingredients are mixed together.
- Top the casserole with the remaining cup of shredded cheese, then bake it (uncovered) in a 400º oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and serve immediately.