3 Cheese Potato & Bacon Perogies
- 5 lb
- red potatoes, peeled, boiled, & mashed
- 1 c
- cheese whiz
- 500 g
- old cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 small
- containers of dried cottage cheese
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- ground black pepper
- 500 g
- bacon ground or thinly sliced, cooked
- 4 c
- luke warm water
- 4 large
- 1 c
- vegetable oil
- 4 tsp
- 8 c
- flour or more if needed
- make the dough in 2 batches if using a stand mixer
How to Make 3 Cheese Potato & Bacon Perogies
- 1To the mashed potatoes, mash in the grated old cheddar, cheese whiz, dry cottage cheese, and the cooked bacon.
Put in a bowl to cool a bit for easier handling. IF YOU ONLY WANT CHEESE AND POTATO OMIT THE BACON
- 2FOR THE DOUGH
put the water, eggs, oil & salt in a mixer bowl and mix together. Add in half of the flour and mix until smooth for about 5 minutes. Add in the rest of the flour until the texture is not sticky, then turn out onto a floured board and knead for about 10 minutes. Put the dough into a bowl which has been oiled so that the dough won't stick to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for about 15 minutes. If you have a Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart Stand Mixer it is really easy to make the dough.
- 3Take a piece of the dough and roll it out to 1/8 inch thick and using a 2 inch cookie cutter or a soup can instead of cookie cutter. Put the piece of dough right side down into the palm of your hand add a rounded teaspoon of the filling in the centre. Fold over the filling and pinch together. I use the Perogy Maker (aka Uncle Bill Perogy Maker) I bought it on line. The picture on the side is of perogies made from my perogy maker.
- 4You can freeze the perogies on a cookie sheet with a piece of waxed paper put on it then floured.
- 5To cook these homemade perogies is different from the store bought ones. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil add the frozen perogies and when they float to the top it should only take about 3 minutes and they are done.
- 6Put some margarine or butter in a skillet along with a chopped onion and saute until the onion is translucent. When perogies are cooked put some of the butter onion mixture over the perogies. If you don't want to eat them just boiled like I love them the first day then you can fry them after they are boiled.