1 1/2-2 lbground beef chuck (may substitute equal amount of ground pork for 1/2 the beef)
1 1/2 cchopped tomatoes (canned, fresh or combination of both), divided
3/4 cuncooked quick oats
1 largeegg, beaten
1/2 cchopped onion
1 tspseasoned salt
1/4 tspground black pepper
1/2 tspitalian herb seasoning
1/2 tspgarlic powder
How to Make MEATLOAF
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine well, in a large bowl, the ground beef, 1 cup of the tomatoes (reserving the remaining 1/2 cup for later step) and all of the remaining ingredients. (TIP: Using food safe plastic gloves saves you from a messy clean up.)
- Roughly shape into a loaf and place in a loaf pan, then bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, carefully drain off most of the fat and evenly pour remaining tomatoes over the top and then return to oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then check the internal temperature. The temperature of the meatloaf must reach 160 degrees (bake up to 15 minutes longer, if needed.) If top starts to brown too much, tent with parchment paper.
- When internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving (this will allow "carry-over cooking" to bring internal temperature up to 165 degrees.)
- Cover leftovers with plastic and refrigerate.