Thaksgiving Rice --- Rice and Turkey (Arroz con Pa
1 can(s)1 complete turkey leg cut up into at least 8 pieces; or the turkey pieces of your choice
2 clong grain white rice
1red bell pepper, mostly chopped, leave a few strips
1onion, mostly chopped, but leave a few strips
3 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 ccanned sweet peas, with the liquid
1/2 ccanned tomatoes, mashed
4 Tbspcooking oil
1 sprig(s)fresh cilantro or celery, chopped
2strings of saffron or coloring agent
1/2 tsp½ teaspoon of your favorite herb or herbs and/or hot peppers (optional)
·salt and white pepper (about ½ teaspoon of each)
4 cturkey broth (recovered from boiling the turkey leg)
How to Make Thaksgiving Rice --- Rice and Turkey (Arroz con Pa
- Briefly fry and seal the turkey pieces. Inmediately transfer to a covered pan filled with boiling water. Make sure you have at least 6 cups of water in it. Remember to save this broth for the rice after the turkey pieces have fully cooked and softened.
- The stir-fry:
Next, prepare the stir-fry ingredientes in the same pan that your going to use for preparing the dish. This could be a special paella low sided, very wide pan, your turkey pan or just a plain large skillet, preferably non-sticking.
- Place the chopped bell pepper, onion, minced garlic, mashed tomatoes, cilantro or celery in the frying pan and stir-fry until it all starts to limp and brown. Don't overcook. Be careful because the garlic will tend to burn if left too long (should be last ingredient in).
- The rice and turkey:
Once the stir-fry starts to brown, add the turkey pieces. Move them around for about a minute and then add the rice. Mix eveything (raw rice, turkey, and stir-fry). Powder with the herbs, add the turkey broth, the sweet peas, the saffron or coloring agent and the salt.
- Spread everything evenly in the frying pan and boil, then simmer and cook (without touching) for about 18 to 20 minutes, letting the rice dry.
- Once the rice has dried, remove the skillet, and let it rest a couple of minutes; then, cover it with newspaper for a few minutes if you want to keep the flavors (a tip).
- *(Relatively: compared to preparing a complete turkey dinner)
Use 2 1in-diced chicken breasts as a turkey substitute and you have the famouse ARROZ CON POLLO---Rice and Chicken!
In any case --- have a nice Thanksgiving with your family and friends!