Take-Out Orange Chicken
2 lbboneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cwhite rice flour or cornstarch
2 largeeggs, beaten
2 cvegetable oil
1/2 tspsesame seeds
1green onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tspred pepper flakes
1 cchicken broth
1/2 cfreshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/3 cwhite vinegar
2 largecloves garlic, minced
1 Tbspgrated orange zest (fresh)
2 tspsriracha sauce
1/2 tspgrated fresh ginger
1/4 tspwhite pepper
How to Make Take-Out Orange Chicken
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together chicken broth, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, tamari, garlic, orange zest, Sriracha, grated ginger and white pepper.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces, place in a large freezer bag or bowl with a lid.
- Add 2/3 cup of the chicken broth mixture, stir to coat and chill for 30 minutes.
- Drain chicken, discard marinade.
- In a medium saucepan heat remaining marinade over medium high heat.
- Whisk together the 2 Tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water.
- When marinade begins to boil, whisk in cornstarch mixture, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat-set aside.
- Place rice flour in a medium mixing bowl.
- Dip chicken pieces into the beaten eggs, then into the rice flour. I just add chicken, toss, add chicken, toss.....until I have all my chicken in the rice flour bowl-then I toss the whole thing until all the flour is absorbed onto the chicken.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat.
- When hot add 1/2 of the coated chicken pieces.
- Turn after 90 seconds browning the other side. Each batch should take 3 minutes to cook. Using a slotted spoon remove chicken and drain.
- Repeat with other half of chicken pieces.
- While second batch of chicken is cooking reheat sauce.
- Place chicken in a large serving bowl, add sauce.
- Toss/stir well to combine.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and sliced green onion.
- Serve over hot white rice.