Puff Pastry Pot Pie
Personally I think it's thyme that makes the difference in this pot pie than some others I've had. Maybe I just like thyme but this is really really good.
And sometimes if I don't have a puff pastry I just make a pie crust and it's just as good.
This recipe is easy and for a "moments notice" lunch or dinner you usually have all the ingredients already in your kitchen.
One skillet to saute in and one dish to bake in....no big mess.;-)
- boneless chicken breast (sometimes i use tenders)
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 tsp
- each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 stick
- 1 medium
- 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 5 c
- chicken stock
- 1 1/2
- thyme, dried
- chicken bouillon cubes or packets (no msg)
- 1 c
- frozen peas and carrots
- 1-2 c
- heavy cream
- puff pastry
How to Make Puff Pastry Pot Pie
- 1In a large skillet with olive oil lightly brown chicken on both sides.
Salt and pepper both sides.
Cook until almost done. (it will finish cooking in the oven)
Dice chicken in bite size pieces
- 2Saute onions in butter until they are translucent
- 3Add flour and stir to make a roux
Cook 1 minute until thickened
- 4Whisk in chicken stock and boullion cubes/packets
- 5Add thyme, peas and carrots
- 6Stir in heavy cream
Let sauce come to a low simmer
Add Chicken and pour into 9x13 baking dish.
- 7Top with puff pastry or pie crust. (if using puff pastry roll it out to about 1/2 thickness or it can become gummy.)
Bake @ 350* for 30-40 minutes or until crust is browned nicely.