Pollo Relleno (Stuffed Chicken)
6 mediumskinless, boneless chicken brerast halves (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
1/2 bag(s)1 1/4 oz pkg. taco seasoning mix (2 tbsp.)
4 oz. can(s)whole green chili (6-fresh if you can find them)
2 oz.monterey jack cheese cut into six 2 x 1/2-inch strips)
2 Tbspsnipped cilantro or parsley
1/4 tspblack pepper
1/4 tspcrushed red pepper
8 oz.bottle green or red taco sauce
2 oz.cheddar or monterey jack cheese, shredded
How to Make Pollo Relleno (Stuffed Chicken)
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. (Today, they say not to rinse chicken because it sprays bacteria everywhere)
- Place each breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. (I use gal. size ziplock bags because they don't tear like plastic wrap) Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/8 inch thickness. Remove plastic.
- In a bowl combine cornmeal and seasoning mix. Place egg in another bowl. For each roll, place 1 chili pepper on a chicken piece. Place cheese strip atop chili pepper near one edge. (I place the cheese inside the pepper)Sprinkle with some of the cilantro and crushed red peppers. Fold in sides of chicken. Roll up, starting from edge with cheese. Repeat to make 6 rolls.
- Dip rolls into egg, then into cornmeal mixture. Place rolls, seam down, in a shallow baking pan. Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Heat taco sauce. Sprinkle chicken with cheese, serve with sauce. Garnish with chopped tomato and cilantro, if desired.
- Changes I made to how to serve. I top these rolls with shredded Mexican cheese blend, shredded lettuce, homemade salsa, sour cream, cilantro, and sliced black olives.
- I serve this with Mexican/Spanish rice and Refritos on the side.