Pollo Encacahuatado- Chicken in Peanut Sauce
- 8 to10
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- plum tomatoes, diced
- white onion diced
- dried red chile
- 3/4 c
- unsalted peanuts
- 3 clove
- garlic, peeled
- 1 can(s)
- chicken stock
- salt to taste
- 1 pkg
- corn or flour tortillas, warmed
How to Make Pollo Encacahuatado- Chicken in Peanut Sauce
- 1In a large, shallow pan heat the oil (about 1/4 inch) and fry the chicken until it starts to brown slightly.
- 2Carefully add the water and cover.
- 3Simmer the chicken for about 10 minutes, then remove the lid and let the water simmer until it is evaporated and the chicken is done (about 15 minutes for breast, and 20 for thighs, but always check with a thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees or higher)
- 4Cut the stem off of the chile and then slit it down the side and remove the seeds.
- 5Remove the chicken from the pan and add in tomatoes, onions, garlic, dried chile, peanuts and chicken broth and bring to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 6Using a stick blender, blend the sauce right in the pan, then add the chicken back in and simmer for an additional 10 minutes so the flavors all meld together nicely.
- 7If you don't have a stick blender, let the sauce cool and blend in a regular blender then bring back to a simmer in the pan with the chicken.
- 8Serve with hot tortillas.