Peruvian Spicy Creamed Chicken - Aji de Gallina
Aji de gallina is a delicious Peruvian classic - slightly spicy and bright yellow from the famous aji amarillo peppers, and rich from the unusual cream sauce made with ground walnuts. This dish is traditionally served over rice, with boiled yellow potatoes and black olives. You can buy frozen yellow aji peppers at Latin food markets. You can also find jarred aji amarillo paste,which works well too. If you can't find aji amarillo peppers, substitute habanero or serrano and add a yellow bell pepper for color.
1 1/2 lbboneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 cchicken broth
1/2 cvegetable oil
3-4yellow aji amarillo peppers
2 clovegarlic, minced
1onion, large, finely chopped
3 Tbspwalnuts, chopped
3 Tbspparmesan cheese, grated
4 slicewhite bread
3/4 cevaporated milk
4yellow potatoes (yukon gold)
2hard boiled eggs, peeled
10black olives, halved
How to Make Peruvian Spicy Creamed Chicken - Aji de Gallina
- Cook the yellow potatoes in salted water until tender when pierced with a fork. Let cool, peel, cut into quarters, and set aside.
- Place the bread in a small bowl and pour the evaporated milk over it to soak. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts in a pot with the chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. Poach for 10-15 minutes, until chicken is just barely cooked through. Set chicken aside to cool. Strain broth and reserve 2 cups. Shred the cooled chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Remove stems and seeds from the peppers. In a blender, process peppers with the vegetable oil until smooth.
- Sauté the garlic and onions with the puréed peppers and oil, until the onions are soft and golden. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a blender or food processor, process the evaporated milk and bread mixture with the nuts and parmesean cheese until smooth. Add the cooked onion mixture and process briefly.
- Return onion mixture to pan, and add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved chicken stock. Bring to a low simmer, and stir in the chicken. Heat until warmed through, adding more chicken stock if sauce is too thick.
- Serve over rice, garnished with the yellow potatoes, slices of hard boiled egg, and black olives.