Peruvian Grilled Chicken (Pollo a La Brasa)
1/3 clow-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbspfresh lime juice
2 tspground cumin
1/2 to 1 tspchili powder
1/2 tspdried oregano
1/2 tspblack pepper
1 Tbspvegetable oil
3 1/2 lbwhole chicken, quartered (i used a cut-up fryer, and it worked well)
1 largelime, quartered (for garnish)
How to Make Peruvian Grilled Chicken (Pollo a La Brasa)
- Add soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and oil to blender, and blend until well mixed.
- Put chicken in a large sealable plastic zip-lock bag and add marinade. Seal bag and marinate, chilled, 8 to 24 hours. Turn occasionally to assure even marinating.
- FOR GRILLING: Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Oil grill rack.
FOR OVEN ROASTING: Preheat oven to 500°F. Add water to a 13x9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Discard marinade, then pat chicken dry.
- FOR GRILLING: Grill chicken over area with no coals (or over a turned-off burner), skin side down first, covered, turning over once, until cooked through, about 30 to 35 minutes (add charcoal to maintain heat).
FOR OVEN ROASTING: Place chicken in a single layer in the baking dish. Roast chicken for 30 minutes. Then tent with foil and continue roasting until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes longer.
- Garnish with lime wedges, and serve while hot.