1 1/2 lbchicken thighs, skinless and boneless
1/2 cextra virgin olive oil (plus additional olive oil for sauteing)
2 Tbspground sumac (do not omit)
1/4 tspfreshly ground allspice
1/4 tspground cardamom
1/4 tspwhite pepper
2 clovegarlic, peeled and minced
2 largeyellow onions, peeled and chopped into medium chunks
2-3arabic bread, or similar (i used a homemade basic arabic bread)
1/3pine nuts (reduced from 1/2 c. to save $)
·flat leaf parsley, for garnish
How to Make Musahkan
- Lightly flatten the chicken thighs with a mallet. Combine the olive oil, sumac, allspice, cardamom, white pepper and minced garlic in a prep bowl and whisk.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large baking dish in a single layer and pour the olive oil marinade over the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour. I prepped the chicken mid-morning.
- Once the chicken has marinated, preheat oven to 400 degrees and BAKE for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, as the chicken bakes, chop the onions. Heat up 2 tablespoon olive oil in a pan and sautè the onions for about 10 minutes until they glisten and are just on this side of caramelized. Set aside.
- In the same pan on medium-low heat gently brown the pine nuts in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat oven to BROIL.
- Slice the bread loaves in half and layer the pieces singly-cut side UP on the bottom of an *oiled baking dish. I also lightly oiled the bread pieces on both sides. It doesn't have to be perfect as long as the bread pieces are singly layered. Tip: After layering the Arabic bread in the baking dish I lightly crisped the bread for 10 minutes in the oven along with the chicken as it baked.
- Spoon HALF of the onions evenly over the bread slices. Slice the chicken thighs into medium-large chunks and place them top of the onions. Now place the other half of the onions on top of the chicken pieces. BROIL the musahkan for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, garnish with the toasted pine nuts and if desired, with some fresh flat leaf parsley. Serve immediately with plain yogurt on the side.