Mexican Chicken & Rice Casserole
1/2 + 1/8 cuncooked rice
1 1/2 cwater
12 ozcooked chicken, diced
1 cshredded monterey jack cheese
1 cshredded cheddar cheese
1 can(s)rotel with diced green chilies
1 smallonion, chopped
10 3/4 ozcan of cream of chicken & mushroom soup
How to Make Mexican Chicken & Rice Casserole
- Place rice and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and turn to simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Spray a 9x9 pan with cooking spray.
- After grating cheese, toss the two together and then set aside.
- When rice is done, pour into a large bowl. Sprinkle 2/3 of the cheese over the rice and stir in.
- In separate bowl, whisk together the soup, Rotel, onion, salt and cumin. Add chicken to rice and pour the soup mix over top. Stir until combined well.
- Pour rice mixture into the prepared 9x9 pan, sprinkle remaining cheese over top and cover with foil.
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes. I usually dab off the floating grease (from the cheese) with a paper towel before putting in for that final 20 minutes. Serve.
- BURRITOS: Leftovers are great made into burritos. Take 1/2 scant cup and spread down the middle of a 10" tortilla. Sprinkle in 1/8 cup of drained and rinsed black beans. I usually draw a small furrow down the rice so the beans don't roll all over while rolling. Roll, folding in sides for typical burrito shape.
- NOTE: I freeze the burritos in a single layer on a parchment covered cookie sheet. When completely solid, I tuck them into a ziploc freezer bag. To reheat: Wrap in a piece of paper towel and cook for 4-5 minutes on 50% power (your microwave may differ).