Mama's Chicken n Dressin'
Mama always made this chicken & dressing (with no particular recipe...it was just in her head, as many of her wonderful recipes were) along with a four layer coconut cake.
Mom now lives in a nursing home; I make chicken & dressing and my sister brings the coconut cake. My brother brings Mom.
·2 whole chickens cut into pieces
·2 onions quartered
·4 ribs celery
·2 quarts water (more if needed to completely cover chicken & vegetables)
·4 – 6 cups chicken stock
·11 cups crumbled cornbread
·11 cups cubed and toasted white bread (or a mix of bread cubes, crackers or crumbled biscuits)
·2 cups onion, chopped
·1 cup celery, chopped
·½ cup butter
·salt to taste
·ground black pepper to taste
·4 eggs, beaten
How to Make Mama's Chicken n Dressin'
- Wash and rinse chicken pieces and place in pot large enough to accommodate chicken, celery stalks, onion, quartered carrots and a good amount of salt and enough water to cover. Cover; bring to boil; reduce to simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through and beginning to fall away from the bones.
- Remove chicken to a platter to cool enough to be able to remove meat from bones. Strain all solids from chicken broth; reserving broth for preparing the dressing. Discard vegetables.
- MAKE THE DRESSING
- In a large cast iron skillet, sauté the onion and celery in the butter until soft.
- Add sautéed onion & celery, bread cubes and crumbled cornbread. Mix in 4 cups chicken stock, adding more if needed to make the consistency of cake batter. Fold in meat from stewed chicken being careful not to break up too small.
- Cover with foil and set in refrigerator overnight.
- Next day:
Add beaten eggs and mix thoroughly; pour into a lightly greased suitable baking pan. (Mom always made in two large baking pans, so I do, too buy now I use the aluminum disposable pans.)
Cover with foil and put it in a preheated 350º F oven and bake it until cooked and center is beginning to get firm.
- Remove foil and bake for 10 – 15 minutes more or until the top begins to crisp and brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to set to firm up for 15 – 20 minutes.