Mama's Chicken n Dressin'
Mama always made this chicken & dressing (with no particular recipe...it was just in her head, as many of her wonderful recipes were) along with a four layer coconut cake.
Mom now lives in a nursing home; I make chicken & dressing and my sister brings the coconut cake. My brother brings Mom.
- 2 whole chickens cut into pieces
- 2 onions quartered
- 4 ribs celery
- 4 carrots
- 2 quarts water (more if needed to completely cover chicken & vegetables)
- chicken meat
- 4 – 6 cups chicken stock
- 11 cups crumbled cornbread
- 11 cups cubed and toasted white bread (or a mix of bread cubes, crackers or crumbled biscuits)
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup butter
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 4 eggs, beaten
How to Make Mama's Chicken n Dressin'
- 1Wash and rinse chicken pieces and place in pot large enough to accommodate chicken, celery stalks, onion, quartered carrots and a good amount of salt and enough water to cover. Cover; bring to boil; reduce to simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through and beginning to fall away from the bones.
- 2Remove chicken to a platter to cool enough to be able to remove meat from bones. Strain all solids from chicken broth; reserving broth for preparing the dressing. Discard vegetables.
- 3MAKE THE DRESSING
- 4In a large cast iron skillet, sauté the onion and celery in the butter until soft.
- 5Add sautéed onion & celery, bread cubes and crumbled cornbread. Mix in 4 cups chicken stock, adding more if needed to make the consistency of cake batter. Fold in meat from stewed chicken being careful not to break up too small.
- 6Cover with foil and set in refrigerator overnight.
- 7Next day:
Add beaten eggs and mix thoroughly; pour into a lightly greased suitable baking pan. (Mom always made in two large baking pans, so I do, too buy now I use the aluminum disposable pans.)
Cover with foil and put it in a preheated 350º F oven and bake it until cooked and center is beginning to get firm.
- 8Remove foil and bake for 10 – 15 minutes more or until the top begins to crisp and brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to set to firm up for 15 – 20 minutes.