Japanese Chicken Rice Bowl (Oyakodon)
I have seen other versions where a poached egg or a raw egg is served on top of the chicken stew in individual bowls of rice.
- 5 medium chicken thighs, with bones
- 1 onion
- 2 cups hoshi-shiitake dashi stock
- 8 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups water
- 2-3 hoshi-shiitake (dried shitake mushrooms)
HOSHI-SHIITAKE DASHI STOCK
How to Make Japanese Chicken Rice Bowl (Oyakodon)
- 1Cut chicken thighs into chunks while keeping the bones (this adds flavor to the stock). Separately, cut onion into slices. Pour Dashi soup stock (see below for preparation) in a relatively deep pan on medium heat and add soy sauce, Mirin, and sugar to the pan and stir.
- 2Place chicken chunks in the pan until it simmers on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Then add onions to the pan and simmer a few more minutes until chicken is cooked and onions are softer.
- 3Separately, whisk eggs in a bowl. Bring the soup to a boil, and after chicken is cooked thoroughly, pour the eggs over chicken and onion. Turn the heat down to low and put on a lid. After one minute, turn off the heat. The chicken is best served over Japanese rice.
- 4For Hoshi-Shiitake Dashi stock
Put water and hoshi-shiitake in a pan and soak for 10 minutes. Heat up the water and turn off the heat when the water comes to a boil.
Let stand for 20 minutes and strain the broth for use. Add the cooked mushrooms to the Oyakodon while the chicken is cooking.