Chicken Vegetable Casserole w/ Cornbread Dumplings
1 can(s)whole carrots
1 can(s)cut green beans
2 Tbspsalad oil
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup, undiluted
3/4 cmilk, divided
3 can(s)chunk white chicken, drained
1 pkgcornbread mix (11-13 oz)
2 1/2 Tbspdried parsley
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Casserole w/ Cornbread Dumplings
- I have been making this recipe since my husband and I first got married 33 years ago. It is a great recipe to make when you need some shortcuts, but something that still tastes yummy! First, let me explain what to buy regarding the cornbread mix. This is an old recipe and back when I first starting making this, they sold cornbread mix in an 11 oz pouch. Where I live, they no longer sell that size and I now buy two 6.5 ounce pouches and so I use 13 ounces instead of 11 and it turns out fine. They also have 6 ounce boxes instead of pouches so you can use 2 of those as well. You just need a total of between 11-13 ounces of cornbread mix. This can be Jiffy, Martha White, Krusteaz, it doesn't matter.
- Preheat Oven to 400. Drain the carrots and green beans. Chop the celery and onion.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, heat oil and saute the celery and onion for 2 minutes. Stir in the undiluted cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup of milk, carrots, green beans & chicken. Bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer.
- Now, make your dumplings: Stir cornbread mix, parsley, egg, 1/4 cup milk, just until moistened.
- Pour your chicken mixture into a 2 quart casserole that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Drop cornbread dumplings on top by heaping tablespoons.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until bubbly and cornbread is browned.