I have used chicken, beef and pork in making these, but my hubby prefers chicken.
I use a deli baked chicken for my recipe as it's easy and ready to debone and get 2 cups from.
- 5 Tbsp
- butter or margarine, divided
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 1 medium
- red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 c
- chopped cooked chicken
- 3 can(s)
- (4-ozs each) diced green chiles, divided
- 3 c
- shredded colby-jack cheese blend, divided
- (8 inch) soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- fresh cilantro,leaves, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce for garnish
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and bell pepper, and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2Stir together onion mixture, chicken, 1 can diced green chiles, and 2 cups shredded cheese. Spoon a heaping 1/3 cupful chicken mixture on 1 end of each tortilla, and roll up. Arrange enchiladas, seam sides down, in a lightly greased 13x9x2" baking dish.
- 3Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining 2 cans green chiles.
- 5Remove enchiladas from oven. Pour green chile mixture over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with desired toppings.