Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast, butterflied
- ¼ cup of finely shredded white cheese of your choce (swiss, provolone, mozzarella, etc)
- 2 very thin slices of cooked brown sugar deli ham
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup bread crumbs, seasoned or plain
- ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 1Place each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using the smooth side of a meat mallet, pound and flatten out to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- 2Remove plastic and top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham. Add 1/8 cup shredded cheese in the center each piece of ham. Fold edges of ham horizontally over cheese. (This helps keep the cheese enclosed in the rollup).
- 3Roll up the chicken, starting at the narrow end, over the filling. Secure with tooth picks.
- 4Melt butter in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- 5In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder.
- 6Lightly brush a little mustard on the top of chicken.
- 7Remove toothpicks and gently dip the rolled chicken in melted butter, then coat gently in the crumb mixture covering completely.
- 8Butter a small baking dish and place chicken logs seam side down. Secure ends with toothpicks if necessary.
- 9Bake uncovered at 350° for30-40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 10Serve with gravy, hollandaise sauce, or leave plain.