Chicken Cordon Bleu
·2 skinless boneless chicken breast, butterflied
·¼ cup of finely shredded white cheese of your choce (swiss, provolone, mozzarella, etc)
·2 very thin slices of cooked brown sugar deli ham
·¼ cup butter, melted
·½ cup bread crumbs, seasoned or plain
·¼ teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
·¼ teaspoon garlic powder
·2 teaspoons of mustard
·½ teaspoon salt
·¼ teaspoon black pepper
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Place each piece of chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using the smooth side of a meat mallet, pound and flatten out to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Remove plastic and top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham. Add 1/8 cup shredded cheese in the center each piece of ham. Fold edges of ham horizontally over cheese. (This helps keep the cheese enclosed in the rollup).
- Roll up the chicken, starting at the narrow end, over the filling. Secure with tooth picks.
- Melt butter in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder.
- Lightly brush a little mustard on the top of chicken.
- Remove toothpicks and gently dip the rolled chicken in melted butter, then coat gently in the crumb mixture covering completely.
- Butter a small baking dish and place chicken logs seam side down. Secure ends with toothpicks if necessary.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for30-40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Serve with gravy, hollandaise sauce, or leave plain.