During the fall of the year Mama and Daddy would "cull" out the old hens and they would put them in the freezer to use for the winter.
Today, I use boneless, skinless chicken that I find at my local Wal-Mart. But I do miss the days of feeding chickens and gathering eggs.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/2 cwater
3/4 clong grain white rice
2 Tbspolive oil
2 lbskinless, boneless chicken breasts, rinsed, patted dry, and cut crosswise into 1/2" wide strips
1 mediumyellow onion, thinly sliced
2 largegarlic cloves, minced
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
·salt and pepper to taste
1 can(s)(14.5-oz) can cream-style corn
1 can(s)(14.5-oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 cshredded swiss cheese
6 largepimiento-stuffed green olives, sliced
·chopped fresh parsley for garnish
How to Make Chicken Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a shallow 3 quart casserole and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken to a large bowl.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet and saute until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon onion mixture over chicken, Sprinkle with flour, salt, if desired, and pepper.
- Stir in corn, tomatoes, cheese, and olives. Spoon mixture into prepared casserole.
- Bake casserole, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more, until mixture is bubbly and top is lightly browned. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.