Cheesy Poppy Seed Chicken and Rice Casserole
2 cbrown rice, raw (or you can use whole grain white) just dont use minute
·salt & pepper
16 ozmarble jack cheese, shredded (cheddar would be a good choice as well)
4 to 6boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bit size pieces (i used 4 very lg chicken breast)
2(10-oz) cans cream of chicken soup (non fat if you perfer)
1 csour cream
2 1/2 to3 cchicken broth (can use stock or water)
1tube ritz crackers, crushed (or similar off brand)
1 Tbsppoppy seed
1/2 c(1 stick) butter, melted
How to Make Cheesy Poppy Seed Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Spread dry uncooked rice evenly over bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper if desired. NOTE 1: There is a lot of salt in both the cream of chicken soup and cheese so not much salt if any is needed. NOTE 2: White rice does not take as long to cook. You should reduce cooking time by 15 to 20 minutes if using white rice.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheese over rice; place chicken pieces on top of rice & cheese.
- Combine soup and sour cream; spread evenly over chicken.
- Pour chicken broth/stock or water over top. There will be a lot of liquid. Don't worry, the rice will soak up the liquid as it cooks.
- Bake in oven uncovered for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Check to see if rice is tender; add more liquid IF needed. At this point the liqiud shoud be almost (but not completely) soaked up by rice with the top looking almost like a pudding or like the cream of chicken soup when you 1st spooned it over the chicken.
NOTE: Remember if using white rice you will need to reduce cooking time by 15 to 20 minutes. Brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
Combine the crushed crackers and poppy seed. I do this in a large ziploc bag. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top. Drizzle melted butter over crumbs.
- Return to oven (uncovered) and bake for 25 minutes longer. Remove from oven, cool for about 10 minutes and serve.