Bev's Sweet & Spicy Orange Chicken - sugar free
non-sugar free ingredients, such as regular marmalade and honey." ~Beverly Walker
- 1.45 lb
- * boneless/skinless chicken breasts (2 large thick chicken breasts), sliced in thin small strips. ***you may substitute for shrimp or beef/or make a combination using any three.
- * flour, enough for dredging chicken
- * salt & fresh pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp
- * canola oil for frying
- 1/4 c
- * low sodium tamari sauce
- 1/3 - 1/2 c
- * orange marmalade, sugar-free (i like "polaner orange marmalade with fiber" brand)
- 2 - 3 tsp
- * garlic, minced
- 2 - 3 tsp
- * fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 Tbsp
- * "truvia", sugar substitute
- 2 Tbsp
- * "sriracha hot chili sauce", or the amount desired for your personal heat level
- * chicken or beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 c
- * water or chicken broth
- 1 tsp
- * cornstarch
- * yellow or red bell pepper, sliced in small strips
- * onion, sliced in small strips
- 1 - 8 oz pkg
- * snow peas
- 1 small can(s)
- * water chestnuts sliced
- * scallions or green onions for garnish
IN A SMALL BOWL ADD THE FOLLOWING 6 INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE ORANGE SAUCE:
LATER, ADD THE FOLLOWING TO THE ORANGE SAUCE:
VEGGIES I LIKE (OR ANY COMBINATION OF VEGGIES YOU DESIRE):
How to Make Bev's Sweet & Spicy Orange Chicken - sugar free
- 1* Bev's Tips: Have ALL the ingredients and prep of veggies ready before starting to cook! The cooking of most ingredients will be done in BATCHES before proceeding with each following step! Looks like a long list of steps, but each one goes QUICKLY!
- 2Prepare the orange sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- 3Season the chicken strips with salt & fresh pepper. Sprinkle the chicken strips with a light dredging of flour.
- 4Pour approximately 2 teaspoons of oil in the center of a large non-stick skillet. Heat on MED-HI until oil becomes HOT.
- 5Working in at least 3 batches (so as NOT to overcrowd the skillet and create steamed chicken), briefly stir-fry the 1st batch of chicken in a hot, undisturbed skillet for a minute or so, to attain a nice golden brown crust. Turn chicken and repeat on the second side. Brown chicken on both sides to achieve a lightly golden crust, WITHOUT cooking the chicken through. Remove the browned chicken to a platter.
- 6Repeat by adding an additional small amount of oil to the skillet, letting it become HOT, and proceed browning the 2nd batch, and removing to platter. Repeat for the 3rd batch of chicken. Set platter of chicken aside. The veggies can now be prepared.
- 7Add approximately 1 Tablespoon of oil to the same skillet, heat on MED-HI until oil becomes HOT. Add onions and bell peppers. Stir-fry for a brief time before adding the snow peas and chestnuts. Cook the veggies only until slightly tender and a 'bite' is left to them. Remove veggies to another platter or bowl, and set aside.
- 8Add browned chicken back to the same skillet that's been heated until HOT, pouring about half of the orange sauce over it; reserve the rest for later. Quickly stir-fry the chicken and sauce until it caramelizes slightly, being careful not to over-cook! Remove caramelized chicken to the platter and set aside.
- 9Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water or broth; add the cornstarch and mix to completely incorporate. Pour bouillon mixture in with the remaining orange sauce; mix thoroughly.
- 10Add the remaining orange sauce with bouillon mixture to the same skillet and cook on MED-HI, stirring constantly until sauce becomes slightly thickened. Combine ALL the ingredients (chicken & veggies) to the thickened sauce and cook only until the dish is heated through.
- 11Garnish with chopped scallions or green onions. Enjoy over a bed of rice or noodles!!!