BBQ Chicken and Hickory Smoked Bacon Pizza
Diane Hopson Smith
Hope you enjoy! We sure did!
BREADMAKER WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH
1 cwater (80 degrees f/27 degrees c)
1 cwhole wheat flour
1 1/2 cbread flour
1 tspactive dry yeast
1 lbpizza dough (homemade or store bought)
·hickory smoked bacon, fried and crumbled
1 largechicken breast, cooked and shredded (the chicken weight before cooked was 3/4 of a pound)
·chicken rub or an all purpose seasoning salt
·salt and pepper to taste (optional, if you use a chicken rub with salt and pepper in it, don't add add'l salt and pepper)
1/2 to 3/4 cbbq sauce (use your favorite)
1 1/2 cmozzarella cheese, shredded
How to Make BBQ Chicken and Hickory Smoked Bacon Pizza
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray pizza pan with PAM.
- PIZZA DOUGH: Place ingredients in pan of bread machine in the order they are listed.
- Select 1-lb setting and then select dough cycle and start your machine.
NOTE: While dough is kneading, prepare pizza filling.
- Once machine has finished it's work, oil hands and stretch dough by allowing the dough to hang from your hand while turning it slowly in a circular motion. Once the appropriate size or close to size you need, lay onto pizza pan, pierce a few times with a fork. Press edges out as needed to fit your pan. If you are already a pro with pizza and can toss, then toss your pizza dough. I've not mastered that yet! Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes; remove from oven and top with pizza filling.
- NOTE: do not roll out the pizza dough or you will have a tough dough.
NOTE: If using store bought dough, prepare as instructed on package.
- PIZZA FILLING: Fry bacon, drain on paper towels and set aside. Reserve bacon drippings.
- Cut chicken breat into medallions or strips about 1/4 inch thick, maybe slightly thickery. Fry chicken in about 2 tablespoons of the hot bacon grease over medium heat, flipping a couple of times. Reduce heat to med/low and continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Turn heat off and let chicken cool in bacon grease. Once cool enough to handle, drain chicken pieces on paper towels.
- Shred chicken with hands or 2 forks. Place in bowl and add about 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, toss to combine; set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce over pizza dough. Top with chicken and bacon; top with cheese.
- Return to hot preheated oven for an additional 10 minutes.