Abuela's Chicken Fricasse
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can adjust the ingredients very easily dependent upon how many people you are cooking for. Enjoy!
2 lbchicken thighs and drumsticks (can use more if you have a bigger family)
2 can(s)red pack brand petite diced tomatoes with sweet onion (can use more cans if you want it extra saucy)
2-3 clovefresh garlic chopped
1 Tbspbalsamic vinegar
1 Tbspwhite sugar (optional - i like to cut the vinegar tang w/ sugar)
1/2 cgreen pepper strips
4 ccooked white rice (i prefer instant boil-in-bag basmati rice)
2-3 ccooked cubed potatoes (optional and boiled ahead of time)
How to Make Abuela's Chicken Fricasse
- Remove skin from thighs and drumsticks of chicken and brown in a skillet or chicken fryer pan with a little olive oil on medium heat.
- Once chicken is browned on both sides, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the strips of green bell pepper to the remaining oil in skillet and sauté until just tender. Add the chopped garlic to bell pepper in skillet and sauté until just fragrant.
- Add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes to the bell pepper & garlic in pan, add the balsamic vinegar and the sugar. Stir to combine. On Medium high heat, bring to a low boil.
- Once low boil occurs, lower heat to simmer and return chicken to skillet, add cubed cooked potatoes and cover. While chicken & potatoes are simmering, boil white rice according to package directions (if you choose to use instant rice) otherwise prepare regular long grain white rice ahead of time.
- When rice is finished, serve chicken fricassee over a bed of rice and enjoy!