3 lbchicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 28 ozcans red enchilada sauce
6 cmexican blend shredded cheese (reserve 1 cup)
10 - 12 mediumflour tortillas
2 can(s)refried beans
2 can(s)diced green chilis
2 qtcottage cheese, small curd or ricotta cheese
1 can(s)sliced black olives (optional)
2 largeonions, yellow, medium chopped
How to Make AAA Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Chop onion and set aside. Warm refried beans in microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Add onion and mix thoroughly.
- Boil chicken in lightly salted water 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove cooked chicken, shred with two forks to desired consistency and set aside.
- Mix shredded chicken, chilis and cottage/ricotta cheese together.
- Pour enchilada sauce into a medium bowl. Add a little of the sauce to the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish or pan to prevent sticking.
- Dip 3-4 tortillas in bowl of sauce. Arrange dipped tortillas in layer on bottom of dish, overlapping to cover bottom.
- Add 1/2 cup each of bean mixture, chicken mixture, and cheese. Repeat layers ending with dipped tortillas on top. Add 1 cup cheese and remaining sauce to top of casserole.
- Spray foil with cooking spray and lay sprayed side down on casserole and seal. Bake 30 minutes at 375. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese begins to brown and is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes (otherwise it will fall apart into a mess). Top with chopped green oinions, sliced black olives or cilantro if desired.
- Suggested toppings: Salsa, sour cream, fresh diced tomato.