Mixed Seafood Paella
- large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- manila clams, scrubbed
- mussels, scrubbed
- 1 lb
- lobster claws - optional
- 1 tsp
- pimenton (paprika), divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz
- spanish chorizo, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, more as needed
- medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- large pinch saffron threads
- (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 c
- dry white wine
- 3 1/2 c
- cups low-sodium chicken stock, hot
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped parsley
- medium lemons cut into wedges for serving
- 2 c
- valencia or bomba rice (or the rice you have on hand)
Add the chorizo and cook until slightly brown and fat has been rendered, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon or spider, remove the sausage and place in a medium bowl.
Add the onion to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, remaining ¾ teaspoon of pimenton and saffron.
Stir to combine and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the rice and measured salt, stirring to coat in the tomato mixture.
Add the chicken stock, stirring to combine and arranging the rice mixture in an even layer.
Distribute the rendered chorizo evenly over the top, cover the pan and simmer on medium-low heat.
Avoid stirring the rice from this point forward.
Most of the liquid should be absorbed.
Continue to cook on a low simmer until mussels and clams open, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Place the rice into warmed bowls, top with parsley and serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side.