Classic Chicken Divan
- 10 ounce package frozen broccoli (i've used fresh too, just as good)
- 1/4 c
- butter or margerine
- 6 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp
- dry white wine
- chicken beasts, cooked and thickly shredded (method below in directions)
- 1/4 c
- grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Classic Chicken Divan
- 1First, to cook chicken; put in a pot large enough to handle the chicken and water to at least an inch above the chicken. Throw in a handful, each of dried sweet basil and parsley, and one bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer till chicken falls from the bone, about 30 minutes. Remove from pot and allow to cool on paper towels. When cool enough to handle shred large chunks off the bone (if you got bone in). I try and make them about the same size as the broccoli.
- 2Cook broccoli using package directions; drain.
- 3In a small saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and dash pepper. Add chicken broth; cook and stir till mixture thickens and bubbles. Stir in cream and wine.
- 4Place broccoli crosswise in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour half the sauce over. Top with chicken. To remaining sauce, add cheese; pour over chicken; sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or till heated through. Then broil just till sauce is golden, about 5 minutes. I serve this with crescent rolls...yum.