4 cyour favorite chili, with beans (can also use two 15 oz. cans)
6 - 8hot dogs, sliced in half, lengthwise
1 cself-rising cornmeal mix*
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1 cshredded sharp cheddar cheese
·*note: can substitute 1 c. cornmeal and 1 tsp. baking powder for the self-rising cornmeal.
How to Make Chili Corn Dog Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place warm chili in an 11x17 glass baking dish. Arrange hot dog slices on top, depending on how many servings you want. (I also brown them first.)
- Whisk together the cornmeal mix, milk, egg, and oil in a small bowl. Add half of the cheese. Pour evenly over the hot dogs.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese (or wait until 5 minutes before you are done baking).
- Bake until the cornbread topping is lightly browned and firm and the chili bubbles around the edges (25 - 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes before serving.