Chicken Thighs with Sausage and Braised Fennel
1 largefresh fennel bulb
6skinless bone in or chicken thighs
·salt and pepper
4 tspolive oil divided
3links sweet italian sausage
1 largeonion thinly sliced
2 clovegarlic minced
1/2 cdry white wine
2 1/2 cchicken broth
1 largeyukon potato peeded and diced
1 Tbspbalsamic vinegar
1/2 cgrated parmesan
How to Make Chicken Thighs with Sausage and Braised Fennel
- Cut the stalks off fennel and save a small amount of fronds for garnish. Slice the remaining fennel into 1 inch wedges.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown over med high heat in olive oil about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add fennel and onion. Season with salt. Cook stirring often until onion softens and caramelizes about 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add wine and deglaze the pan scrapping up bits from bottom. Cook until wine is almost evaporated.
- Add 1 1/2 cups broth to pan, add the potato and the rosemary. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and simmer until potatoes are semi tender about 15 minuts.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the vegetables and broth to a food proccessor and process until smooth. Add back to pan and add remaining broth. Nestle the chicken back into pan and any accumulated juices. Cover the pot and adjust the heat maintain a slow simmer for 15 minutes
- Slice the sausages into 1 inch pieces. Add to pan and simmer another 15 to 20 minutes. Until chicken is done.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cheese. Serve