Chicken Dressing Casserole
- whole chicken
- 7 slice
- loaf white bread, toasted, cooled, and crumbled
- hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 large
- onions, chopped
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery, chopped
- 1/4 lb
- eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbsp
- poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 tsp
- recipe cornbread, cooked and crumbled
- liver, gizzards, and heart from one chicken
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- chicken broth
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- eggs, hard boiled and chopped
How to Make Chicken Dressing Casserole
- 1Place whole chicken in deep pot. Add water to cover. Salt the water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until fork tender, about 2-1/2 hours. Hold chicken in broth until completely cooled. Remove chicken from the broth, reserving broth. Remove meat from bones and chop, discarding skin. Set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3In a large bowl, crumble cornbread and toast. Add chopped hard boiled eggs to mixture.
- 4In a large skillet, saute onions and celery in butter until translucent. Add to bread mixture.
- 5In a separate small bowl, combine beaten eggs, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Stir into bread mixture. Add enough chicken broth to create a moist consistency.
- 6Grease a 9-1/2 inch by 13 inch glass baking dish with butter. Evenly spread 1 cup dressing mixture in bottom of the dish. Add a layer of chicken. Top with remainder of dressing. Bake until browned and bubbly, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- 7GIBLET GRAVY
Boil the liver, gizzards and hear in a large pot of simmering water for 40 to 50 minutes or until tender. Drain, chop, and reserve the giblets.
Melt shortening in a frying pan over medium heat. Add flour, stirring until light brown, about the color of peanut butter, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add giblets and boiled eggs and stir to combine. Serve immediately or keep warm