1 1/2 lbapple wood smoked bacon
1 1/2 lbhardwood smoked slab bacon
1 lbtriple crème brie
12 sheet(s)phyllo dough
12 Tbspdijon mustard
3 ptgrape tomatoes
1/4 cdry white wine
1/4 colive oil
·salt and pepper
6individual casserole dished
How to Make BLT Casserole
- Place the apple wood bacon on a wire rack, on top of a cookie sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes til cooked, but not crisp. Slice into ribbons. Don’t discard the rendered bacon fat. At the same time, cut each tomato in half and place them on a baking sheet. Rub the tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and place them in the oven with the bacon. After 10 minutes, turn the tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes. They should be done about the same time as the bacon.
- Slice the leeks and shallots into rounds and put in a colander. Run water over them to remove any dirt and pat dry. Sauté in the rendered bacon fat til translucent and remove from pan. Put the remaining bacon fat in a small bowl.
- Chop the slab bacon into ¼ inch cubes and sauté til done, but not crispy.
- Cut the rind off the brie and place the cheese in a bowl with ¼ cup dry white wine. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir until it’s smooth enough to pour.
- Lightly grease the casserole dishes with bacon fat.
- Place phyllo on a cutting board, the long way down. Cut into 6 even squares (2 across, 3 down). Place 5 ungreased sheets in the bottom of each casserole dish.
- Distribute the slab bacon evenly among each dish. Place 2 layers of ungreased phyllo over the bacon. Put 2 tbl. dijon on the phyllo and spread evenly. Distribute the leeks evenly over the mustard. Distribute the tomato confit evenly over the leeks. Distribute the ribbons of bacon evenly over the tomato confit. Distribute the brie sauce evenly over the top of each casserole. Place 1 layer of phyllo over each casserole.
- With a pastry brush, brush the bacon fat on the phyllo. Repeat with 4 more layers of phyllo and bacon fat. Bake on a cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes, or until phyllo is browned and casserole is bubbly. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 large servings.