Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe I found in the McCall's Recipe card collection.
My family and I love this. I hope you will to.
- 1 pkg (8 oz.) elbow macaroni ( i use 2-21/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 cups of milk (whole or 2%)
- 2 cups (8 oz) grated cheddar cheese ( i use the whole pkg of cheese except for 1 cup saved for topping)
- 1 large tomato, thickly sliced
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375F
- 2Cook the macaroni as the package label directs; drain
- 3Meanwhile, melt butter in medium size saucepan.
- 4Remove from heat. Stir in flour,salt,and pepper until smooth.
- 5Gradually stir in the milk and bring to boiling stirring constantly.
Reduce heat, and simmer mixture for 1 minute or until thickened
- 6Remove from heat
- 7Stir in 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- 8Add the macaroni and stir gently until cheese and macaroni are combined
- 9Pour mixture into a 1 1/2 qt., shallow casserole dish.
- 10Arrange tomato slices over the top. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top
- 11Bake 15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown
- 12Makes 4-6 servings