Cumin-Spiced Burgers with Harissa Mayo
The sauce: a delectable mix of mayonnaise, caraway seeds and more harissa.
- 3 lb
- ground chuck (or camel depending on your location)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 c
- plus 2 teaspoons harissa
- 2 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme
- large red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 Tbsp
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 6-inch oval rolls, split
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- caraway seeds
- tomato and cucumber slices
How to Make Cumin-Spiced Burgers with Harissa Mayo
- 1In a large bowl, gently mix the ground chuck with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of the harissa, the cumin, garlic powder and thyme.
Form the meat into eight 3/4-inch-thick oval patties.
- 2In a medium bowl, toss the onion slices with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat a grill pan.
Cook the onions over moderate heat, turning once, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- 4Grill the burgers over moderately high heat, turning once, until medium, about 8 minutes.
Grill the rolls until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise with the caraway and the remaining 2 tablespoons of harissa; season with salt and pepper.
- 6Spread the mayo on the rolls.
Top with the patties, onions, tomato and cucumber; close the sandwiches and serve.