Burger that Won @Taste America
Courtesy of Every Day with Rachel Ray, this burger was a winning recipe in the magazine's Burger Battle Royale contest. It was also served at the 2013 James Beard Foundation Taste America® kickoff party!
·• 1 3/4 pounds ground beef chuck
·• salt and pepper
·• 4 seeded whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
·• 8 ounce aged cheddar cheese, shredded
·• 4 slices red onion
·• 4 leaves butter lettuce
·• 1/4 cup thousand island dressing
·• grainy mustard, ketchup, pickled cipollini onions and purple potato chips, for serving
How to Make Burger that Won @Taste America
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Form the ground meat into 4 patties, about 1 inch thick. Season patties on both sides with salt and pepper, then grill, 2 to 3 minutes per side, for medium-rare.
- Toast the buns, cut sides down, alongside the burgers, about 1 minute.
- While the burger are cooking, melt the cheese in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place a burger on each bun bottom. Pour one-quarter of the melted cheese over each burger. Top with red onion and lettuce. Spread cut side of bun tops with Thousand Island dressing and place on top of burgers.