West Texas Cornbread ---With a Twist!
I also prefer no cheese but my guests and husband love it with cheese.
2 lbhamburger lean
1 cdiced yellow onion
1 can(s)black beans or red chili beans,drained
2 can(s)diced tomatoes and green chilies drained
2 can(s)whole green chilies or two cans diced
2 cshredded monterrey jack cheese
1 can(s)creamed corn
2 boxcornbread mix for sweet or 1 recipe for buttermilk cornbread
1 can(s)green enchilada sauce
1 1/2 csour cream
3 dash(es)green or red tabasco sauce
How to Make West Texas Cornbread ---With a Twist!
- ESSENTIAL TOOLS:
Skillet, colander for draining, 13 x 9 casserole dish, mixing bowl large for cornbread, mixing bowl medium for green chile sauce, spatula, large spoon and whisk
- In a colander, drain beans and diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- Cook hamburger and diced onions, drain.
Add back to the skillet the hamburger and onion, drained beans and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper to taste at this stage.
- Heat oven to 350 degree
Spray casserole dish. Set aside.
- Combine cornbread mix your choice. Add creamed corn to the mix. I have used both and prefer the savory over the sweet cornbread mix. Using a buttermilk recipe seems to give it that added twang. Just be sure you make a 9 x 13 dish size of cornbread mix for this recipe.
- Spoon half of the cornbread mix into the bottom of the dish. Add hamburger/bean mixture
Add two cups of shredded cheese.
- Layer whole green chilies over hamburger mixture. Then top with the rest of the cornbread mix. Smooth out.
- Cook until cornbread is done. I have timed it at 45 minutes inserted a knife it came out clean but you judge by your oven. If you cook with cast iron check after 30 it tends to cook quicker.
- In the meantime while baking, combine in medium bowl your one can of green enchilada sauce and sour cream. Add a couple of dashes of Tabasco sauce, salt or red chili powder its your preference though.
- OPTIONS FOR CASSEROLE: two diced jalapenos.
OPTIONS FOR THE SAUCE: Green chilies diced, green onions diced.