Tropical Calf's Liver
Janice Joy Miller
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbcalf's liver, thinly sliced
3 Tbspbutter, unsalted
2 cmasa harina
·salt and pepper
2 Tbspmango preserves
1/2 cfresh pinapple, diced small, divided
1/4 chalf and half
1/4 cfresh mango, diced small
2 Tbspfinely chopped parsley
1lime, juiced, divided
1 cwater, as needed
How to Make Tropical Calf's Liver
- Slice the shallots into rings about 1/8" thick, and set aside about 1/4 cup to dice for the garnish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet, and saute the sliced shallots until tender.
- Put 2 cups of Masa in a bowl & add about a half teaspoon of salt. Mix well.
- Sprinkle liver slices with salt and pepper. then dredge in the masa.
- Remove shallots from pan, and melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add liver slices and brown on both sides. Transfer browned liver slices to another pan, top with cooked shallots, cover and continue cooking over very low heat.
- Deglaze the original pan with a quarter cup of water. If necessary, strain out any large or burnt bits. Bring to a boil.
- Dissolve 2 generous tablespoons of mango preserves in the boiling liquid.
- Reduce heat and slowly stir in 1/4 cup of half & half, stirring constantly until sauce coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, cover and set aside
- To make pineapple mango garnish / salsa. Stir together 1/4 cup each of fresh pineapple, fresh mango, chopped shallots, finely chopped parsley, juice of half the lime, and salt to taste. Set aside.
- Now make fresh tortillas from the remaining masa. Sprinkle the rest of the lime juice over the masa. There should be about a cup and a half left. Add water a tablespoon at a time, blending with fingers until a soft dough is formed. Dough should not be sticky. If it is, just sprinkle in a little more masa until dough is smooth and pliable.
- Pinch off dough about the size of a golf ball and pat between the hands to flatten - or use a tortilla press or rolling pin to form discs about 6 inches in diameter.
- Cook each masa disc on a very hot skillet for 10 seconds, then turn over for 10 seconds, and turn one more time. It should take about 5 minutes to make all the tortillas from the remaining masa.
- Keep fresh tortillas warm by covering with a clean towel. Makes about 8 to 10 fresh tortillas.
- To serve, transfer liver and shallots to a large platter and pour the mango pineapple cream sauce over the top. Spoon fresh mango pineapple salsa around the sides.