Tropical Calf's Liver
Janice Joy Miller
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- calf's liver, thinly sliced
- 4 large
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 2 c
- masa harina
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- mango preserves
- 1/2 c
- fresh pinapple, diced small, divided
- 1/4 c
- half and half
- 1/4 c
- fresh mango, diced small
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped parsley
- lime, juiced, divided
- 1 c
- water, as needed
How to Make Tropical Calf's Liver
- 1Slice the shallots into rings about 1/8" thick, and set aside about 1/4 cup to dice for the garnish.
- 2Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet, and saute the sliced shallots until tender.
- 3Put 2 cups of Masa in a bowl & add about a half teaspoon of salt. Mix well.
- 4Sprinkle liver slices with salt and pepper. then dredge in the masa.
- 5Remove shallots from pan, and melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- 6Add liver slices and brown on both sides. Transfer browned liver slices to another pan, top with cooked shallots, cover and continue cooking over very low heat.
- 7Deglaze the original pan with a quarter cup of water. If necessary, strain out any large or burnt bits. Bring to a boil.
- 8Dissolve 2 generous tablespoons of mango preserves in the boiling liquid.
- 9Reduce heat and slowly stir in 1/4 cup of half & half, stirring constantly until sauce coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, cover and set aside
- 10To make pineapple mango garnish / salsa. Stir together 1/4 cup each of fresh pineapple, fresh mango, chopped shallots, finely chopped parsley, juice of half the lime, and salt to taste. Set aside.
- 11Now make fresh tortillas from the remaining masa. Sprinkle the rest of the lime juice over the masa. There should be about a cup and a half left. Add water a tablespoon at a time, blending with fingers until a soft dough is formed. Dough should not be sticky. If it is, just sprinkle in a little more masa until dough is smooth and pliable.
- 12Pinch off dough about the size of a golf ball and pat between the hands to flatten - or use a tortilla press or rolling pin to form discs about 6 inches in diameter.
- 13Cook each masa disc on a very hot skillet for 10 seconds, then turn over for 10 seconds, and turn one more time. It should take about 5 minutes to make all the tortillas from the remaining masa.
- 14Keep fresh tortillas warm by covering with a clean towel. Makes about 8 to 10 fresh tortillas.
- 15To serve, transfer liver and shallots to a large platter and pour the mango pineapple cream sauce over the top. Spoon fresh mango pineapple salsa around the sides.